Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Over the years I have learned two incontrovertable facts... There is a God, and I'm not him

re-posted from Riverchasers


Nothing stirs up debate, argument, and pure in- fighting than Religion. Hitting a two outer on the river after calling all streets comes a close second.

95% of the world believe in a supreme being. Seth obviously has an objection to uniform religion. As do I. But I live my life according to the religion I was raised in. I just so happen to choose so. I'm not a religious man, but I am a spiritual one.

I educate my children in Catholicism for no other reason than I am too lazy to do it myself. After they're older, they can choose which way their intellectual and spiritual curiosity takes them.

Growing up, I had an Aunt and Uncle (Uncle was a Rabbi) who were Jewish, so I participated and learned a lot about the Jewish faith as well.

I've also studied, and learned a lot about many other religious throughout history. One thing can be said of all. They all believed in a supreme being, and they all, at one point, had at least one messiah/ prophet/ son/ whatever.

Whether you choose to believe or follow a supreme being is up to you. Whether you choose to believe religion was made up as a control mechanism, or something similar is your choice as well. You can choose not believe that it all spawns from our lack of understanding of space, or astronomy. But to think the world we live on, and the universe we live in just so happened to show up, is a tough nut for me to swallow.

I'm an educated man, and continually strive to find answers. Not to disprove or incite a conspiratorial subject, but to learn all possibilities and how they might effect our futures.

Humans are story tellers. We all like to be the source of information, and when we tell it, we tell it through our eyes. Our experience. This is why written history is so unreliable, and usually why the truth falls somewhere in the middle. Almost always.

8 comments:

1Queens Up1 said...

I think going to Catholic school for 9 years of my life ruined my view on religion in general. When you see the hypocrisy and they conveniantly "leave things out" in Religion class it just baffles me.

lightning36 said...

Hmmm ... I think Gos smites those who raise and appear to bully ... but I could be wrong ...

BamBam said...

Why the EF would you call me out now? Just 'cause I was there at the creation of all things "flying rock'ish" and we happen to be brudders, doesn't give you the right to make me accountable for the entire Blogosphere and how they view their own religion!

I mean DAMN Riggs!

I can't let out the secrets just yet. The time will come, I promise.

But it can certainly be said, that there are another two facts that are incontrovertible. There is, and neither am I !

Oh and for the record, I find sex and politics to be right up there with the "debate stirring" issues.

:)

Riggstad said...

Lightning - "appear" and "is" are two different things, and do not excuse CALLING OFF!!!

lightning36 said...

You may not have been bullying, but you were raising my blind hand after hand and I was in a pissy mood. Thus, I gave you no credit for having a hand.

Two overcards in a Limit game? Not bad to call when you think someone is on air. Yeah, I got lucky, but if the turn had been a blank I would have been gone with a minimal loss of chips.

Not too hard to understand what I did. You were just unlucky as far as I know. I didn't see your hand so I still don't know what you raised with. As far as I knew, I was way ahead on the turn.

Riggstad said...

Seriously, ,this is not really an issue at all. I expect this stuff to happen all the time. I had AA for what's its worth.

lightning36 said...

Playing crappy hands like that -- what did you expect? : o )

Schaubs said...

Bible thumper...